Laura-Marie Marciano (remember this name)

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Teaching

Well ----
I have realized today that not having money to spend is something i could certainly get use to...

Last night, I rearranged my small Chicago bedroom because it was beginning to feel unlivable

I put the bed along the wall, so now I sleep horizontal to Lake Michigan

The roof outside my window, that I often climb outside on at night, woke me up, loud with the splashing of rain against the concrete.


I rolled over on my side to look at the beautiful mess outside.

I thought about my Grandmother. She suffered a stroke this week.

I thought about the day before, the blessing I had received...

At school, one of my responsibilities is to organize the Children's Mass.

I was running late on Friday morning, and I reached the school as the kids were coming into their classrooms.

I met Father Felipe, the parish priest, at the door, to tell him that my Grandmother was sick, and to pray for her at mass. I wouldn't be able to attend because I had to help out with the pre-schoolers.

The day went on. I was pretty considered about her, stopping at moments to hide away in the teacher's lounge and let tears stream down my face. Being away from my Grandma was hard enough, but being away from her when she was sick, very sick, was impossible.

I don't teach any classes on Friday, so I went around to visit my students.

I stopped into third grade.

I walked around and greeted the children who were working on a math problem.

"hi Louie, how are you" i asked one of my favorite little spit fires.

"Ms. Laura, is your grandma sick?" he looked up at me.

"Yes, she's in the hospital," I answered.

"We prayed for her at mass, I hope she feels better Ms. Laura."

I smiled all over my body, and felt connect to this child. My student.

I went back up to my room and began to make galleries of the best paintings from the week.

I covered two whole walls of the third floor with beautiful inspiring pieces.

I sat in my office, and watched after the bell, as the kids gathered around their work, proud and beaming.

I saw the color in their hearts.

1 comment:

Emily Martucci said...

Laura,
This sounds like an amazing job for you and I can't wait to hear more about what you do. I'll keep your grandma in my prayers.