Laura-Marie Marciano (remember this name)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

chicago...

So i have moved in..
and many things have happened...

I was back in Rhode Island for a few days, as some of you may know..

I got a free box of pizza, folk danced in a parking lot, swam with fish that were electrified, and my favorite bohemian man.

I found a friend...but perhaps lost him again...

I came back to Chicago....
Yesterday, as I was leaving work, my sandal broke.

My friend Brett, a young man from Kansas that I met on the "beach" of Lake Michigan
tried to fix it with some string. But it didn't last more than three blocks. The two of us drew one another at the bus stop, me bare foot, waiting for the number 50 to bring me back to my small little room.

Brett ended up spending the night with my housemates and I. We went to see a movie in the park, and took in the fantastic Chicago skyline, noting the vagina shaped buildings.


I woke up in the morning and briskly rushed to work. Upon arrival to our meeting room, there was a new librarian teacher named Patrick. He looked awfully handsome, but more importantly, awfully familiar. I of course could not place where I knew him from.

As the day went on, I got to having a conversation with Patrick.

"have you ever taught before?"

"yea for a year in south america."

"what country?"

"Ecuador."

"what city?"

"quito."

"THE CENTER FOR THE WORKING CHILD?!"

"yes, yes, I KNEW YOU LOOKED FAMILIAR!"

And so it just happens that Patrick and I had met in South America while doing service. We had had a long conversation there about the importance of living free and following your heart more than two years ago.


Here we were now , following our hearts to St. Ann School in Chicago, teaching right across from each other on the third floor.

Patrick and I parted ways at the end of the day, and I made my way back to South House. Upon walking in my bedroom I found Brett, covered in paint, creating a beautiful mural on my wall.

I laid down the floor, put on some soothing music, let some of the paint drip on my feet, and said a silent prayer of thanks in my heart.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Laura,

What a small world we live in! It sure is awing to witness how life seems to work to surprise you with random reunions of old friends or new friends. I am so happy to hear you are enjoying Chicago and I look forward to reading more of your blog as you cherish those moments that many easily forget.

Peace,
Amber