Laura-Marie Marciano (remember this name)

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Holy Sunday

This morning, after spending a marvelous night in the intoxicated streets of Chicago with my invigorating roomates, I drove over to St. Ann for the monthly children's mass.

My students were in the church, dressed in their best, ready to take the alter and recite the readings they had practiced with me on Friday afternoon.

They were a little nervous, especially because the Bishop was going to be saying the mass, since Father Felipe (the most attractive parish priest I have ever met!) was on vacation.

While the Bishop was giving his homily, after the children had read, he commented on on how wonderfully they had done, and that many times he can never understand the readings when they are done by youth. My kids were smiling, and so was I.

After mass, we went over to the small cafeteria to have some cake and refreshments. Many old women lined up to get blessed by the Bishop, and a multitude of mother's helped to serve the refreshments to the congregation.

I sat down at a table with Louie, Memo, and Brianna, three of my all stars, who happen to be brothers and sister, and their cousin Christopher, a very awkward 7th grader. It was funny to be to see how these children were all related, as the Villasenor siblings were so well adjusted, and their cousin was shy.

I began to talk to Christopher's mother. She was extremely well spoken, and loving. She seemed highly educated. I had the idea that she must have a very good job. She seemed like she had so much to offer the world.

I shyly asked her where she was working.

" I am out of work right now. I am looking, but there is nothing."

She said this with a smile. I smiled too, but couldn't understand how this wonderful woman could be out of work, and worse, I wondered how she managed to pay her bills or send her son to St. Ann.I worried because she had a Breast Cancer awareness t-shirt and bracelet on, and wondered if she was a survivor, and how she paid the hospital bills. I wondered if that is why she lost her job? I wondered why God would give so many hardships to just one person...

We began to talk about her son.

"He wants to go to De LaSalle for High School" she said. "I am looking into what kind of aide is offered."

I told her I went to a LaSalle school, and that my grandmother paid for it. My parents, full time working teachers, could not afford to send me to LaSalle, and I wondered how this woman would ever be able to send her son.

The kids' smiles and laughter around the table allowed me to not focus on the small tragedy that was joining us at the table, and then I remembered the gospel from Mass that morning.

"The first shall be last, and the last shall be first."

I knew there was terrible injustice in the world. I knew that this woman should have a good job, and should have whatever she wanted.

But I remembred her smile, and that God's ways are not mine. This woman was a wonderful mother and aunt. She was a good person, and her son Christopher was surrounded by love each day, at home, and at our school.

I remembred that her reward would be in heaven, her rewarded would be something much greater than I could ever offer.

I remembered we are all taken care of somehow.

No comments: